Acai bowls are very popular nowadays. They make a refreshing and nutritious breakfast. They are wonderful to eat all year long but especially during the warmer months of the year. Because they are cold, they may not be enjoyed during winter or by small children.
You will need to get frozen açai berry pulp, which can be found in most health food stores, or online. You can also use açai powder although the frozen puree is better.
Acai bowls are a rich source of antioxidants, fibre, healthy fats and a variety of vitamins minerals. Depending what you put on them, açai bowls can be gluten-free.
Garnish them with nut butter, nuts and seeds, coconut flakes, fruits, dried fruits, bee pollen, etc.
A bowl usually makes one serving.
- ¼ cup almond milk, homemade or unsweetened
- ½ medium banana
- 1 100g (3.5-oz) pack frozen unsweetened acai berry pulp
- ½ cup frozen fruits (berries, mangoes or pineapple are great)
- Optional toppings:
- Sliced banana
- Chopped fruits
- Nut and seeds
- Almond butter
- Coconut flakes
- Drizzle of organic honey
- Add almond milk, banana and frozen fruits to a high-speed blender.
- Before opening acai pack, run it under water for a few seconds to thaw it slightly, and break the frozen pulp into smaller pieces. It will make blending easier.
- Add pieces of frozen acai pulp into the blender, add spinach if using, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings.