This arugula lentil salad is truly delicious. It really makes a healthy, nutritious meal. It’s also very pretty with all the beautiful colors. It’s very light and refreshing, and can be eaten cold or a little warmer if using warm lentils.
I love to have salads for lunch. It’s a great way to make sure you eat a lot of veggies for the day. If you eat salads regularly, make sure you vary your ingredients and dressings to get more nutrients and benefit from different ingredients. Plus, it’s always good to change and explore different flavors and textures.
This salad is made with arugula and organic black lentils. I used dried lentils, which I cooked in water. Cooking lentils is very easy, and is much easier and quicker than cooking beans. The process is very similar for cooking grains. Lentils have many health benefits. They help to reduce blood cholesterol and risks of heart disease since it contains high levels of soluble fiber. They are also a great source of folate and magnesium, which contributes to heart health. The high fiber content also helps to stabilize blood sugar and support digestive health.
Lentils are cheap and make very healthy meals. Although they are a good source of proteins – especially for vegetarians, they aren’t complete proteins, so you might want to eat another source of proteins throughout the day. If you are vegetarian, you may want to eat some whole grains or have a handful of nuts and/or seeds. Complementary proteins only need to be eaten in the same day, not necessarily at the same meal. I have an option in the salad with nuts so you can “complete” your meal if you like.
Arugula is highly alkalizing and is high in vitamin A and sulfur. Sulfur is a beauty mineral because it helps the skin stay clear and youthful. You’ve gotta love your greens!
This salad is vegan, gluten and soy-free.
- 4 cups arugula
- ½ cup cooked black lentils
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 5-6 Baby tomatoes, cut in half
- Sliced red onion
- Cilantro, chopped
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the lentils if not done already. First, rinse ½ cup of dry lentils under running water. Then, bring 1 cups of water to a boil. Add the lentils, a pinch of salt, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and let it cook until the water is absorbed.
- Make the dressing: combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk with a fork or a whisk until well combined. Reserve.
- Make your salad to your liking by controlling the amount of ingredients and putting all ingredients together. Drizzle your salad with the dressing.