Who doesn’t love macadamia? Macadamia nuts are considered to be the world’s finest nuts. They have a sweet buttery flavor and a crunchy texture. They are very rich but in moderation, they are a great source of healthy fats. Macadamia oil can also be purchased in most health food stores or online, and can be used in many different types of dishes. Contrary to many oils, macadamia oil has a high monounsaturated fatty acid content, and is extremely low in omega-6’s, which is very important to reduce overall inflammation. It’s also a very good source of antioxidants and vitamin E.
This nutritious black lentil salad is made with a light macadamia oil dressing, which is very lovely with the black lentils, vegetables and herbs.
To make this lentil salad, I have rinsed and drained dry black lentils, which I have cooked with water. To be intimidated by this process. Lentils are very easy to cook and they do not require soaking. You can always try with canned lentils but you really can’t compare the taste and the nutrition aspect with fresh, homemade cooked lentils. So once they are cooked, allow them to cool down before making the salad. If you like, you can even cook your lentils a day in advance.
This salad is very easy to make and is truly delicious. It has a earthy and nutty flavor, combined with the freshness of the herbs and vegetables. It really makes a healthy, nutritious lunch. If you like, add a few chopped macadamia nuts to your salad for extra crunchiness and flavors.
I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I did. It’s vegan, gluten and soy-free.
- ½ cup black lentils, dried, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ avocado, diced
- ¼ cup tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup carrots, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Chopped macadamia nuts, optional
- 2 tbsp macademia oil
- ½ juicy lemon, juice
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- Pinch coriander, optional
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add dried lentils and salt, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Allow to cool.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients together and whisk until emulsified.
- In a large bowl, add cooled or cold lentils, vegetables and dressing. Gently toss the salad and serve or refrigerate for later.