At almost 34 weeks of pregnancy already, I’m starting to make food to freeze for later when I will be home with the newborn. I will make a lot of food but I started with these nourishing blueberry pear muffins. I just felt like baking something.. And try them haha. I was very pleased with the result.
These blueberry muffins are vegan but aren’t gluten-free. They are made with spelt flour (you could use kamut if you like), which is very nourishing. I’m not an anti-gluten person, well unless of course you have an allergy or can’t eat gluten for health reasons. I just don’t believe gluten is that bad. There are a lot of products that are gluten-free out there that are even worst than products made with flours that contain gluten. These products are usually made with a lot of sugar to compensate for the taste, and they are made with a lot of starches. A good quality organic, spelt, kamut or sprouted wheat is less processed and much more nourishing than eating starches and added sugar. Anyway 🙂
So these muffins are not gluten-free but are made with good quality, natural ingredients. They are a little sweet, and may be next time I’ll cut down on sugar (if I’m planing to eat them by myself) as I don’t have a sweet tooth but I would say that for most people, they would be good or not even sweet enough. So I think the balance of sweetness is good. I used coconut sugar and pure maple syrup. The bluberries and diced pear add a really nice touch too. I also added mashed banana to cut down on fats although I added coconut oil since it’s an incredible healthy fat. Fats are not bad and they don’t make us fats. You just need the right kind of fat and cook it at the right temperature. I love my fats and I eat a lot of them haha!
I hope you and your family enjoy these healthy blueberry pear muffins. They are very easy to make and make a great morning snack!
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 ½ cup spelt or kamut flour
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Wet ingredients:
- ½ cup mashed banana
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp grounded flax seeds + 3 Tbsp filtered water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 pear, diced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a muffin pan with parchment liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine grounded flax seeds with water. Stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients together. Stir.
- In a medium bowl, mix wet ingredients together. Stir in flax mixture. Mix to combine.
- Pour wet mixture into dry.
- Stir in blueberries and pear.
- Fill muffin tins with batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.