This Coconut Red Lentil Soup is… AMAZING! Seriously, you have to give it a try, and especially if you love coconut milk. This soup is so nourishing, comforting and the flavors are very well balanced. You will need canned coconut milk (not the carton version), and you will need the full fat version. I’m not a big fan of low-fat and fat-free products. It’s much more satisfying and nourishing when the fat is present, and coconut milk provides good saturated fats (yes I know, I said saturated fats – saturated fats are not all created equal).
This soup is made with chard, which is a dark green leafy vegetable, but if you don’t have it, you can always use spinach. I love to add greens everywhere! They are so healthy. I also used fresh lemongrass. When you use fresh lemongrass, you have to remove the first layer, cut the edges, and finely minced the inside. Lemongrass really add a nice touch but can be omitted if you can’t find it.
I hope you like this soup as much as I did. It gets cold these days in Southern California and having a warm bowl of soup is always very enjoyable. My picky husband even had 3 bowls! If you make it, let me know how you and your family liked it!
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2” ginger, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp lemongrass, outer leaves removed and finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 2 cups sweet potato, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth, preferably homemade
- 1 cup swiss chard, stemmed and finely minced
- 1 lime, juice
- ¾ cup full fat coconut milk, canned
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- In a large soup pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat.
- Combine onion, garlic, ginger and lemon grass, and let it cook for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Then, add the curry and stir.
- Add dry red lentils, sweet potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Let cook for about 20 minutes or until the red lentils are cooked and the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Turn off heat, stir in swiss chard, cilantro, lime juice, coconut milk and sea salt.