Enjoy this gourmet rice salad warm or cold. Cook the rice first and let it cool down before making the salad. You can even use leftovers, so next time you don’t know what to do with the extra rice, make a salad and bring it for lunch!:)
The rive I used is Lundberg Countrywild. It’s a blend of long grain brown rice, wehani, and black japonica. It tastes delicious and is really nutritious. It takes about 45-50 min to cook – yes it’s a lot of time, but it’s a whole grain and it’s very nutritious. If you don’t eat grains for x reasons, you could use wild rice, which is not a grain but the seed of a grass, or you could also use quinoa.
I don’t eat rice very often but I will enjoy a good quality rice once in a while. Whole grains are great source of fibers, proteins and iron, and they are a great source of B vitamins, which support the nervous system (and help to reduce stress!). All types of rice are gluten-free but it’s not all type of rice that are nutritious though. Stick with whole rice and avoid what’s white.
The dressing is creamy and delicious. It’s made with chickpea miso, which is soy-free. You can find chickpea miso at Whole Foods or at your natural food store. It’s raw and contain good probiotics – its a very healthy food. This dressing goes well in this salad but feel free to use it in your favorite salad! It’s easy to make and so yummy!
- 1 cup contrywild or brown rice, cooked and cold
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 4 kalamata olives, cut in half
- 4 walnuts, cut in half
- 1-2 tbsp raisin, optional
- Fresh mint, to garnish, optional
- Chickpea Miso Dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chickpea miso
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the rice if it's not already done. Allow 45-50 min to cook. Reserve and let the rice cool down.
- Make the salad: In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together.
- Make the dressing: In a small blender, or in a small bowl with a whisk, combine ingredients together and blend/whisk until smooth.
- Pour the dressing into the salad and mix until well combined.
- Garnish with fresh mint if you like.