Easy homemade coconut milk made from shredded coconut. Coconut milk is very nourishing but most store-bought coconut milk is made from canned coconut milk, which is fine but processed and not the healthiest choice.
You can make your own raw coconut milk from unsweetened coconut flakes in less than 5 minutes at home. All you need is a high speed blender and a nut milk bag. You simply blend coconut flakes with filtered water, a pinch of sea salt and natural sweetener if you like, and you blend until smooth. Then you strain the milk through a nut milk bag. Your coconut milk will last for about 4 days. It’s that simple and so much tastier and healthier!
Coconut milk is a great option for children as well, as long as they do not have a coconut allergy. It’s very nourishing and healthy, and contain healthy fats and lauric acid. Coconut is a superfood and it’s something we should include more into our diet.
I hope you try this recipe at home and I hope you and your family enjoy it. It’s vegan, gluten and soy-free.
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 4 cups filtered water
- Pinch sea salt
- Sweetener of choice, optional
- In a high-speed blender, combine coconut flakes and filtered water. Add pinch of salt and sweetener if you like.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes, on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Over a bowl, transfer coconut mixture into the nut milk bag and squeeze the milk out of the bag with your clean hands.
- Discard the dry pulp or keep it for later use. The coconut liquid that is found in the bowl is your coconut milk. Store it in a container and keep it in the refrigerator. It will last for about 4 days.
-Do not throw away your nut milk bag. Simply rinse it, dry it out and keep it for next time.