I recently had the pleasure to interview Hannah from the wildmintshop.com. She sells organic, eco-friendly products for the whole house and family on her online store. She is passionate about a healthy organic lifestyle and here’s what she has to say to some of my questions!
1. What made you started your company? And what’s your mission?
I have been so lucky to have amazing parents who have always done anything and everything to make sure my five younger siblings and I are healthy and safe! Even at 28 years old, I still get emails from my parents with links to articles about safety tips and being healthy. So, when my parents learned about the chemical BPA in plastics about 7 years ago, avoiding toxins became a natural priority.
It all started in my parents’ kitchen. We stopped using single-use water bottles and slowly started to recycle and phase out our plastic plates, cups and cooking utensils. We recycled those plastic kitchen items for new glass or stainless steel cups, reusable water bottles, lead-free plates, and bamboo or stainless steel cooking tools. At this point in time, the only chemical in plastics we knew a lot about was BPA, but it didn’t take long for us to realize that toxic chemicals could be found in way more than just water bottles and cups.
After spending lots of time researching the types of chemicals that could be found in our cookware, bakeware, and beauty products (just to name a few), my mom and I began the hunt for safer items to replace in her home and my new apartment with my husband. This was not a quick or easy task. Researching took a lot of time and finding suitable products was equally as challenging.
My mom and I knew that we couldn’t be the only people who were eager to learn how to avoid toxins as well as find toxin-free products more easily. So, to help like-minded, conscious-consumers striving to live more toxin-free lifestyles, we started Wild Mint Shop.
Since we launched in September 2011, it has been our mission to let the world know that no matter how big or small healthy changes you make in your life are, you are making a difference not only for you and your family, but also for our planet!
It’s hard to describe the amazing feeling I get when I wake up each day knowing that my husband and I are doing what we can to avoid toxins and live healthier for the present and with the hopes of building a family of our own one day J. They say you become more and more like your parents every day…and if creating a safer environment for my family is in the cards, I can’t wait!
2. What are the products you personally use and love the most?
Oh gosh, can I name everything? Hah! If I had to pick my top 5 products that I use and love the most….
- Lifefactory water bottles – I bring one with me everywhere I go! I’m always thirsty and drinking water to stay healthy and hydrated throughout the day.
- Glass food storage containers – These are my favorite kitchen item for food storage, baking, microwaving, and freezing. They are BPA free and are so useful!
- Safe cookware and utensils – I love to eat healthy…and cook healthy too by using kitchen products that are free from harmful toxins. For example, PFOA free cookware (definitely not the non-stick pans!) and bamboo and stainless steel utensils (never plastic!).
- Reusable sandwich bags – These are perfect for snacks, sandwiches, and other goodies like my phone and money when I’m at the beach!
- Stainless steel straws – Love these so much. They are such conversation starters when people come over. Plus, they keep me from biting on my straws, like I used too.
3. You have a wild variety of products. What are your top 5 best sellers? Hope you don’t mind I kind of just combined it to be a general group of products.
4. If you had one beauty product to recommend to everyone, which one would be?
Hm….tough one! Honestly, I would say natural sunscreens! You protect your skins from harmful chemicals found in conventional sunscreens while also protecting your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
5. In terms of pricing, do you have competitive prices? And do you run promotions?
I do! We offer special discounts and promotions to our newsletter subscribers. You can subscribe easily HERE.
6. I love that you also have organic products for babies and children. Why do you recommend parents buying organic for their children?
According to a study revealed by Healthychild.org, I learned that babies may be exposed to as many as 300 toxic chemicals in a new nursery! I had to dig some more to help our parents, so I did some more research and learned that there are six big reasons why small children are more susceptible to toxins:
Compared to adults, children breathe in more air, drink more water, and eat more food in relation to their body weight, resulting in higher toxic proportions in their bodies.
Children’s fast metabolisms result in faster and greater absorption of toxins.
Closer to the ground.
Because air pollutants settle on the ground, there is a higher toxic concentration of toxins on the ground where children play.
Putting things in their mouths.
How often do children put things in their mouths? All. The. Time. Whether it’s their fingers or chewing on a toy, the mouth is an easy entryway for toxins.
Weaker immune system.
A baby’s immune system often isn’t developed enough to counteract the effect of toxins like an adult’s can.
Life in the womb.
Rapidly changing cells, particularly in the central nervous system during embryonic and fetal growth, are more vulnerable to toxins than fully developed cells.
I know completely switching your lifestyle to going 100% toxin-free can be difficult and expensive, but the good thing is that you can decide what you can change within your budget and based on your personal preferences. I always like to remind myself and others not to feel guilty for what you cannot do because even the smallest thing makes a big difference.
7. Are all your products coming from U.S. companies? Do you encourage local?
Not all are products are from U.S .companies, but we do place high value on those that are. We have a huge section (HERE) where we showcase our made in the USA products.
8. I saw you contribute to 1% for the planet. Can you tell us a little bit more about it?
When we started Wild Mint Shop, we knew we wanted to do more than just promote a healthy and toxin-free lifestyle for people—we also wanted to promote a healthy planet! To help us pursue our corporate commitment to environmental sustainability, we joined 1% For The Planet (1% FTP) in August 2011. As a member of 1% FTP, we pledge to donate 1% of our annual sales to non-profit environmental organizations dedicated to the preservation and restoration of our natural environment. At Wild Mint, we know that without our precious environment and its natural resources, we would not be able to grow or exist as a company. That is why we are so excited and proud to be a member of 1% FTP because we can help give back to the environment that has given so much to us!
9. If someone is interested to have you sell their organic, natural or handmade products, would you be interested? And if so, how can they contact you?
Absolutely! I’m always looking for new, toxin-free and sustainable products and thoroughly evaluate products before adding them to our site. If someone is interested in selling, they can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with information about their company, sustainable practices, and testing for harmful toxins and send product samples to our corporate offices.