I made this sautéed of kale and mushrooms that I served over a warm bed of buckwheat (kasha). It was truly delicious. I garnished with fresh cilantro and added a few cashews on top. So simple and easy to make, but super nutritious and delicious.
While the buckwheat was cooking, I simply sautéed the kale and the mushroom in a little olive oil until moist and soft. I seasoned with sea salt and black pepper, and when the buckwheat was cooked, I added it to my plate and pour the vegetable mixture on the buckwheat.
I don’t know if you ever had buckwheat but buckwheat is a gluten-free grain, and even though it’s considered as a grain, buckwheat is not really a grain but a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb. It’s very nutritious and healthy, and you cook it the same way as you would cook rice. It’s a little sticky and has a very mild flavor. I really like it.
This healthy meal was ready in less than 30 minutes, including food prep and the time to cook the buckwheat. I thought it was delicious! I love simplicity. This meal is vegan and gluten-free.
- ½ cup dry buckwheat or kasha
- 1 cup warm water (or broth if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms, diced
- 3 cups kale, stem removed, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Raw or roasted cashews, to garnish
- In a small saucepan, cook buckwheat the same way as you would cook rice.
- While the buckwheat is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add mushrooms and let them cook for a few minutes before adding the kale. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Cook the veggies until soft but avoid overcooking. (You may want to add a bit of cilantro here or just use it to garnish - it will be great either way!)
- When the buckwheat is cooked, add into plates. Pour the veggie mixture on the buckwheat, garnish with cilantro and top with cashews.