I love lentils. They are so nutritious and versatile. They are a great source of proteins, dietary fiber, folate and iron. They support digestive and heart health, they help stabilize blood sugar, and they support weight loss. Lentils are easier to digest than the other beans but if you still have a hard time digesting legumes, try to cook them longer so they are really soft and cooked through, and make sure to chew them very well. Lentils are also very simple to prepare since they don’t require soaking time like other beans.
This Moroccan inspired lentil salad is very simple to make, and is absolutely delicious. I simply cooked lentils in water – you can use brown, green or black lentils; I made a dressing for the lentils using spices such as coriander, garam masala and cumin; I roasted carrots in a little olive oil and sea salt; I put the lentils and carrots on top of an arugula bed, topped with more dressing, and garnished with sliced avocado and fresh mint.
It was absolutely delicious. The salad is vegan, gluten and soy-free. I hope you enjoy it too!
- ½ cup brown, green or black lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- Pinch sea salt
- 4-6 carrots, chopped
- 2-3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- Fresh mint, to garnish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- Pinch cinnamon
- In a small pot, bring water to a boil. Add lentils and a pinch of salt. Bring heat to a simmer, cover and let the lentils cook until the water has been absorbed and the lentils are cooked through. If you want a cold salad, make sure to cool down the lentils first.
- Roast the carrots: Toss chopped carrots in olive oil and sea salt. Roast for about 20 min at 400F.
- Make the dressing by blending or whisking all ingredients together.
- Toss the lentils with some of the dressing. Set aside.
- Make the salad: Put arugula in a plate. Add some of the lentils & dressing mixture on top, then add roasted carrots and sliced avocado. Add more vinaigrette on top if you like.