4 bell peppers
1 cup basmati brown rice, cooked
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14.5 oz.) organic diced tomatoes, or ¾ cup fresh tomatoes, diced
1 can organic black beans, rinsed very well and drained
¼ cup organic corn, fresh or canned
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 lime, juice
2 tsp. chilli powder
1 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
Fresh organic mozzarella, or Mexican cheese, optional
1. If not already done, cook the rice. Brown rice will take about 40 minutes to cook. You will need to cook ½ cup of dry brown rice with 1 cup of water to get 1 cup of cooked rice.
2. Preheat oven to 375F.
3. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for a few minutes or until the onions are translucent.
4. Add tomatoes, rinsed black beans, corn, lime juice and seasonings. Mix well and cook for about 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
5. While the mixture is cooking, prepare the peppers. Wash them and slice the top of each pepper about 1” from the stem end, remove seeds and ribs that are inside. Place in a baking dish.
6. Fill the peppers with the vegetable mixture.
7. Sprinkle the top with cheese, if desired
8. Bake for about 20 minutes and serve.
• Bell peppers are one of the vegetables that contain the most pesticides. It’s best if you can buy organic.
• Skip the cheese if you are dairy-free! If you are using cheese, it’s best if you can buy organic!
• For a grain-free alternative, replace brown rice with quinoa.