Did you ever have a pistachio cake? I have never had one until I made this one. And oh my.. It was so good haha! If you have pistachios on hand and don’t know what to do with them you should try this cake. I wanted to bake something for my family but something different.
This pistachio cake is very easy to make. It’s vegan, soy-free and is made with organic ingredients. It’s however not gluten-free. This dessert is actually made with organic, non-bleached white flour. Yes, it may not be as healthy but once in a while I believe it’s fine. One of the reasons I actually used white flour is that pistachios have already that coarse texture, and they are green. I wanted a green cake and didn’t want a crumbly cake either so I had to work with the texture. I occasionally use white flour but I believe it’s acceptable in moderation. The cake is after all, still homemade and made with organic ingredients.
The cake tastes great and is sweet but not too sweet. All the kids enjoyed it, which I was very surprised.
The pistachios need to be shelled and ground in a coffee grinder or in a food processor. The cake will be ready in less than 30 minutes and will make a wonderful dessert or snack. It serves about 8.
Hope you like it!
- 2 cups organic white flour
- ¾ cup pistachios, shelled and grounded + ¼ chopped pistachio for topping if you like
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 mashed banana
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup, coconut nectar or organic honey (honey isn't vegan though)
- ⅓ cup coconut milk (or almond milk)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and oil a round or square baking pan with a little olive or coconut oil.
- Grind pistachios in a coffee grinder or in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients together. Stir.
- In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients together. Stir.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Garnish with chopped pistachios if you like.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.