Who doesn’t like burger, right? But if you’re like me and prefer a veggie burger, or even better, just the patty haha, here’s a great recipe for you to try. They are so nutritious and are still packed with proteins and fiber. Quinoa is a complete source of proteins and black beans are another good source of proteins. The sweet potato brings a nice sweetness while boosting nutrient content. Did you know that sweet potatoes were a superfood? They are such a great alternative to white potatoes; they are very nutritious and do not raise blood sugar as much as white potatoes do.
These quinoa black bean patties are not only nutritious but very delicious and easy to make too. They have a touch of heat but I couldn’t say they are spicy. My husband who’s very sensitive to heat (and very picky too haha) really enjoyed them!
You’ll simply need a food processor to mix the patties and then they are baked for about 40 minutes. When they are baking, it’s the perfect time to prepare the cashew basil sauce, if you are planing to make it, of course. I served this dish with garlicky broccoli, which was very delicious. I can’t have a meal without my greens! You could also use these patties to make veggie burgers but I prefer to simply eat the patties. And the sauce.. Oh my.. It’s delicious and really adds a nice touch!
The veggie patties are vegan and gluten-free. I haven’t use any eggs, flax seeds or breadcrumbs. They hold very well by themselves – just make sure you pat try the beans to remove excess moisture.
I hope you and your family enjoy them!
- ½ cup dry quinoa (2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup water
- 1 organic can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Basil Cashew Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2-4 hours
- ½ cup water + 1 Tbsp
- ½ cup fresh basil, packed
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- Cook the quinoa: In a saucepan, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the water is all absorbed.
- By the meantime, boil or steam the sweet potatoes until tender.
- In a skillet, sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the cooked quinoa, cooked sweet potatoes, black beans, and the remaining ingredients. Process for a few seconds or until you get a nice texture. Do not over process; you want to see pieces of the ingredients in the patty.
- Form patties with your hands and place on the cookie sheet. You will be able to make about 6-8 patties, depending of the size of the patties and depending of the size of your cookie sheet.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- To make cashew cream, blend all ingredients together until smooth.