It’s winter and it’s cold outside. It’s important to stay warm and eat nourishing, grounding food. This quinoa porridge is all that, plus it’s really delicious. It’s a really great way to start your morning. It’s made with quinoa of course, almond milk, persimmon, almonds, crystalized ginger and cinnamon. You can always omit the crystalized ginger if you don’t have it. I had some at home and added it to my porridge and it was really delicious. The spiciness of the ginger pairs very well with the sweetness of the fruits and the cinnamon.
This quinoa porridge is very simple to do. You simply cook quinoa in almond milk for about 20 minutes or until ready, then you stir-in the other ingredients, pour into your favorite bowl and eat it. Just make sure you rinse your quinoa very well prior to cook it. Even though quinoa is eaten as a grain, it’s not a grain. It’s a seed from a vegetable related to spinach and beets. It’s a complete source of protein and a great source of vitamin E, minerals and fiber.
I love persimmon and since they are in season, this is why I used that fruit but feel free to use your favorite seasonal fruit. If using a persimmon, make sure it’s ripe. It has to be soft like a ripe tomato.
This warming and nourishing porridge is vegan, gluten and soy-free.
- ½ cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 ripe persimmon, diced
- 8-10 almonds, chopped
- 3-4 crystalized ginger pieces
- Dash cinnamon
- Raw honey or pure maple syrup, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine quinoa and almond milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir and serve. Add a little raw honey or pure maple syrup if you like.