I love Buddha bowls! I love all the delicious combinations you can make. For this one, I got inspired by the beautiful asparagus and sunflower sprouts I found at the market. I decided to make a Buddha bowl inspired by Spring. After all, we are still in Spring! Summer is only at the end of the month!
So this Buddha bowl is made out of sprouted cooked quinoa, cooked asparagus, raw sauerkraut, fresh pea, avocado, spring onions, sunflower sprouts and lime. I made a dressing to serve with this delicious bowl of goodness, of course, and it’s a creamy herb cashew dressing made with cashews, fresh dill and chives, extra-virgin olive oil, lime juice, garlic, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. I also added water to achieve the right consistency.
This dish is very easy to make and very nutritious. Quinoa is a complete source of protein so you don’t need to add any other sources of protein. You will also get a lot of nutrients from all the lovely greens in the plate. The dressing is satisfying and goes perfectly with this dish. Feel free to use lemon if you don’t have lime.
This Spring Buddha bowl is vegan, gluten and soy-free, and serves 2.
- ½ cup quinoa, dry
- 14-16 spears asparagus, trimmed and cut in halves
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 1 cup pea, fresh or frozen
- 1 avocado, pitted, cut in half and sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Sunflower sprouts
- ½ lime, cut in half, to garnish
- Herb Cashew Dressing:
- 1 cup cashew, soaked for 1-2 hours
- ½ cup water
- 1 lime, juice
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring quinoa and one cup of cold water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer until water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. For a few minutes, steam or boil the asparagus and peas. Drain and set aside.
- Meantime, make the dressing. Drain water to only have the soaked, wet cashews. Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. If needed, add more water to achieve desired consistency.
- In a serving bowl, add quinoa and arrange vegetables on top. One serving should have half an avocado. Serve the dressing on the side.