Did you ever have tempeh? I love tempeh. When I first tried tempeh a few years ago, I just loved it right away. It’s so earthy and nutritious, and it tastes delicious especially when made with a good creamy sauce.
The sauce I made with this bowl is made out of coconut milk and curry paste. Peanut butter sauces are also amazing with tempeh. There are different types of tempeh – some has flax seeds or wild rice in it, but most of them are organic and taste delicious. The dark spots on tempeh are normal so don’t throw it away – it’s due to the fermentation as tempeh is a result of fermented soybeans. Because the soy is fermented, it’s much easier to digest as well. Miso is the same.
Of course, if you are intolerant or allergic to soy (an intolerance is different than an allergy), you should obviously stay away from soy. Soy is one of the most common allergen and it’s one of the food that you really want to be careful eating, especially if not fermented and processed! If you want to know more about soy, go see my “why plant-based” page in my “why” section. I talk about soy.
This meal is vegan and gluten-free. You could serve it over or with brown rice but this is not necessary as you have sweet potatoes which are starchy. This delicious tempeh bowl is easy to make and really taste delicious, especially when you love tempeh!
- 1 tbsp sesame or coconut oil
- 1 bloc tempeh, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- ½ sweet potato, peeled, cut in half and sliced
- ½ head broccoli, cut into florets
- Cilantro, optional
- 1½ cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 lime, juice
- In a large skillet, heat sesame or coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add tempeh, sweet potato and cauliflower.
- In a small bowl, whisk the coconut milk, tamari, red curry paste and lime juice.
- Pour the sauce into the pan, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer until the sweet potato are tender, stirring frequently.
- Plate and garnish with cilantro if you like.