This tofu and brown rice bowl makes a simple but delicious and nutritious meal. The tofu is simply cook in a little oil in a pan, and the vegetables are blanched (boil for a minute) although they could be roasted, steamed, or in whatever cooking method your prefer. I put the sauce on top (I added more after taking the picture because I like sauce and that sauce is really yummy!) and I garnished with cilantro leaves and gomashio, which is a condiment made from sesame and sea salt. I actually love the one who has algae added to it to get extra minerals.
In terms of soy, I only eat tofu occasionally and when I do, I get organic, of course, and sprouted to aid digestion. Most health food stores now carry sprouted tofu. It’s best to stay away from non-organic soy products as they are mostly genetically modified. The only soy products I occasionally eat are organic tofu and edamame, as well as sprouted soy such as miso, soy sauce and tempeh. I do not recommend to consume any types of processed soy foods such as the soy found in fake meats. You can read more about soy in this section of my blog.
So this meal is very easy and quick to make, and makes a great week night dinner. It’s vegan and gluten-free. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
- 1 tbsp sesame or olive oil
- ½ bloc tofu, large diced
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 green onions, slice crosswise
- Sea salt
- Gomashio, to garnish
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Bring to a boil water. Add rice and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 40 minutes. Turn off heat, let steam for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add tofu and cook on each side until golden. It will take about 10 minutes to cook.
- In a pot, add water and salt, and bring to a boil. Blanch broccoli for a minute or two, then remove from water and set aside. Do the same with kale if you want it blanched. You can always saute the kale in a pan with a little oil if you prefer.
- Make the dressing. Combine all ingredients into a small blender, or bowl, and blend, or whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Add rice, tofu and vegetables. Pour some sauce on top or serve sauce on the side. Garnish with gomashio (condiment made from sesame seeds and sea salt).