This tofu and brown rice bowl makes a simple but delicious and nutritious meal. The tofu is simply cook in a little oil in a pan, and the vegetables are blanched (boil for a minute) although they could be roasted, steamed, or in whatever cooking method your prefer. I put the sauce on top (I added more after taking the picture because I like sauce and that sauce is really yummy!) and I garnished with cilantro leaves and gomashio, which is a condiment made from sesame and sea salt. I actually love the one who has algae added to it to get extra minerals.
In terms of soy, I only eat tofu occasionally and when I do, I get organic, of course, and sprouted to aid digestion. Most health food stores now carry sprouted tofu. It’s best to stay away from non-organic soy products as they are mostly genetically modified. The only soy products I occasionally eat are organic tofu and edamame, as well as sprouted soy such as miso, soy sauce and tempeh. I do not recommend to consume any types of processed soy foods such as the soy found in fake meats.
So this meal is very easy and quick to make, and makes a great week night dinner. It’s vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 tbsp sesame or olive oil
- ½ bloc tofu, large diced
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 green onions, slice crosswise
- Sea salt
- Gomashio, to garnish
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Bring to a boil water. Add rice and a pinch of salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 40 minutes. Turn off heat, let steam for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add tofu and cook on each side until golden. It will take about 10 minutes to cook.
- In a pot, add water and salt, and bring to a boil. Blanch broccoli for a minute or two, then remove from water and set aside. Do the same with kale if you want it blanched. You can always saute the kale in a pan with a little oil if you prefer.
- Make the dressing. Combine all ingredients into a small blender, or bowl, and blend, or whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Add rice, tofu and vegetables. Pour some sauce on top or serve sauce on the side. Garnish with gomashio (condiment made from sesame seeds and sea salt).