I love mushrooms! This wild mushroom pate is absolutely delicious. It’s made with three types of fresh mushroom, toasted walnuts and seasonings. I also added truffle oil but this is optional. This mushroom pate is very earthy, flavorful, and satisfying. It’s also very easy to make. Use the pate as a spread to put on healthy crackers, bread or in sandwiches, or use it as a healthy “dip” for veggies. If you like mushrooms, you will really enjoy this pate.
To make the pate, you will have to cook fresh mushrooms, toast walnuts, and combine everything in a food processor. The mixture will need to be refrigerated for at least an hour, and the pate will be ready to eat once it has cooled down. If you like, prepare the pate a day in advance.
I made this appetizer/hors d’oeuvres for a small potluck at my friend’s house, as well as other food, and people really enjoyed it. It’s something different and a little exotic, and with thanksgiving that is tomorrow, it was really perfect.
This wild mushroom pate is vegan, paleo, gluten and soy-free. I hope you enjoy it as much as my friends and I did.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, small dice (about ½ cup)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 4 oz shitake, stemmed, sliced
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 oz portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup walnuts, raw or unsalted
- 1 tsp truffle oil, optional
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Pinch dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place walnuts on a cookie sheet and roast for about 15 minutes or until walnuts look slightly golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic, then thyme, salt and pepper. Stir, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then, add mushrooms and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until mushrooms are softer and cooked. If you like, add truffle oil, then stir. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine mushrooms mixture and toasted walnuts. Process until you get a pate consistency but avoid over processing it. You still want to have small pieces of walnuts and mushrooms.
- Transfer pate to a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Serve with healthy crackers or vegetables, or use it as a spread.