These zucchini muffins made with gluten-free oats and diced apples. They are fat-free, refined-sugar free, and vegan – they do not contain any eggs or dairy products. They taste really good, and they are crisp from the outside, and moist inside. They can even be eaten for breakfast – they are made with kamut flour, gluten-free oats, flax seeds, fruits and vegetables.
Because the muffins are made with kamut flour, they are not gluten-free. Kamut is an ancient relative of modern day wheat and is easier to digest. It’s healthier than wheat flour. It’s also more nutritious and is a great source of fiber. I also added quick cooking oats for texture and to add more fiber.
The flax seeds in the recipe replace the eggs as well as adding essential fatty acids. Make sure the flax seeds are grounded. If you buy ground flax seeds, store them in the refrigerator to avoid them become rancid. If you don’t have flax seeds at home, you can use grounded chia seeds. If you simply prefer to use eggs, which is fine too, use 2 pastured-raised eggs instead of flax seeds. I want to emphasize on the quality of the eggs though – make sure it’s fresh, organic and/or pastured-raised. You want to avoid soy, corn, and GMO’s, and you want to support sustainable, local farms.
So if it’s summer and you have too much zucchini from your garden and wondering what to make with them, try to make a batch of those zucchini muffins. They not only make great breakfast on the go, but they are also great for lunches. They can be frozen as well.
- 1 ½ cup kamut or spelt flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats, gluten-free preferably
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 apple, diced or grated
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds + 6 Tbsp water (or 2 pastured eggs)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line muffin tins with baking cups. Set aside.
- Make the flax eggs by combining the grounded flax seeds into the water. Mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients together. Toss, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients together, mix and add to the dry mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter in the baking cups and fill it up. It will make 12 big muffins.
- Bake for about 30-35 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.