This zucchini pasta dish is vegan and gluten-free, and is made with zucchini, different types of mushrooms, arame, as well as green onions and seasonings. This dish is very easy and quick to make, and only requires a spiralizer to make the zucchini noodles.
You will have to sauté the mushrooms, but if you want a cooked meal, you can always slightly cook all the ingredients in a large sauté pan. This is a very healthy dish, and although I find it to be delicious, it might not be something for the entire family. This is the type of meal I will make if I eat by myself or if my husband and step kids want to eat something that I don’t eat.
It’s a good meal to have during late summer or fall, and as I mentioned, you can always slightly cook the ingredients to have something a little warmer during winter time. If you think you will need to eat something else, feel free to add a piece of sustainable fish or meat with it. You can always serve this dish as a side dish too.
I used three types of mushrooms in this dish, including dried shitake, which brings a nice texture. If you don’t have dried shitake, just use fresh ones. I also used arame, which is an algae that needs to be soak for a few minutes before being used. Algae are an excellent source of minerals and are very alkalizing. You can always omit the arame but I always like to encourage people to try new things. You can this dry algae in most health food stores.
These zucchini pasta are very light but very delicious as well. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 medium zucchini
- ½ Portobello mushroom
- 2 dried shitakes, cut into quarters
- 2 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp dry arame
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Soak the arame into a bowl of water for 5-10 minutes. Then, drain water and reserve arame. Do the same with the shitake mushroom if using dried shitakes.
- Make zucchini noodles with a spiralizer. Reserve.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and cook mushrooms, including the shitakes, until soft and moist. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini noodles, arame, mushrooms and green onions. If you want this dish cool, simply add a tablespoon of olive oil into the bowl, season with sea salt and pepper, toss and serve. If you want this dish warm, add a tablespoon of olive oil into your large sauté pan and slightly cook all ingredients together over medium heat until ingredients are warm and softer. Season with sea salt and pepper, toss and serve.