This almond apple cake is light, fluffy and nutritious. It’s made with almond flour so very nutritious. If you have young children at home, that are not allergic to nuts, it’s a fun way to incorporate nuts in their diet. Also, the cake is sweetened with pure maple syrup but also monkfruit sweetener, which make the cake much lower in sugar. I explain the natural sweetener just below.
There are two kind of almond flour: almond flour and almond meal. Almond flour is white only as it uses the almonds without the skin. Almond meal, on the other hand, has a darker colour and a more coarse texture because the skins are found in the product. The flour is more expensive than almond meal. You can use both in the recipe or in most recipes calling for almond flour but the colour and texture will change a little bit. You want to store your almond flour or almond meal in the refrigerator as the oils in the almond may oxidize.
Although you can get your flour from different companies, I usually buy my almond flour from Bob’s Red Mill. They sell it in most grocery stores nowadays, usually in the natural section.
Monkfruit sweetener is a sweetener that is made from Monk Fruit. It was used for centuries in eastern traditional herbalism to increase chi and well-being. It has zero calorie, zero glycemic sweetener that is just like sugar. It’s Keto, Diabetic, Candida, Paleo, Vegan, Low Carb, Low Sugar and NON-GMO. It has no natural flavoring, no maltodextrin and no artificial flavoring or sweeteners. You can buy it online on the manufacturer‘s site or amazon, other online health food stores, or in most health food stores.
In the cake, you will find pastured eggs, coconut oil, vanilla, diced apples and warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg.
It’s a great cake to make during fall or winter but it could definitely be made all year long as it’s a pretty light cake. Next time I will try to use blueberries to make a more summery cake. I will try to post an update recipe soon. It’s Spring here but it was cold and wanted to use the apples I had. Next week I want to remake it though.
The cake is paleo, low in carbs and sugar, and is gluten-, grain- and soy-free.
I hope your family enjoys it.
Almond Apple Cake
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup arrowroot powder
- ¼ cup monkfruit sweetener
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon unrefined salt
- 3 pastured eggs
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- Sliced almonds, toasted, for garnish (optional)
- Coconut whipped cream, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8 x 8" baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, monkfruit sweetener, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt and stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Then whisk in maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar and apple.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk to combine.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, garnish with sliced almonds if you like, and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve with a doll of coconut whipped cream if desired.