This almond, berries and lemon bread is light, fluffy, nutritious and colourful. It’s a perfect bread to make for spring and summer. I used almond flour, coconut flour and arrowroot starch for the base which makes it gluten- and grain-free. Additionally, it’s dairy- and soy-free. It’s a totally guilt-free dessert (or snack!) and it’s absolutely yummy. My family enjoyed it and so did I.
Almond flour is lovely in dessert. It has a sweet taste and it’s very nutritious. The only downside is that it’s slightly expensive. The good thing is that you usually combine the flour with another type of flour or starch. Almond flour is different than almond meal, the second being darker in color and has a coarser texture. Both can be used but if you want a “white” bread, use almond meal.
I used a mix of frozen berries in the bread although you could use fresh if you prefer. Just make sure to really add them at the end avoid stirring too much otherwise you will end up with smashed fruits and a colourful bread! Nothing bad though, your kids may enjoy even more a blue or red bread, haha! Using frozen berries help to not have the fruits smashed in the bread. It’s also more economical.
I use four pastured eggs in the recipe, which is what makes it so light and fluffy. I also added a little almond milk, honey to sweeten, which pairs beautifully with the berries, and coconut oil for healthy fats. The delicate taste of lemon comes from the zest of one large lemon added to the batter.
I sprinkled turbinado sugar, which is raw sugar, on top of the bread for texture and flavour. It was a nice addition but you can totally skip this step if you want to avoid that extra sugar. The bread isn’t very sweet but the fruits in it help to sweeten it naturally. I find the sweetness just enough though.
Hope you enjoy it xx
Almond, Berries and Lemon Bread
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon unrefined salt
- 4 pastured eggs
- 1/3 cup local honey
- ¼ cup almond or coconut milk
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, about ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup mixed berries
- Turbinado sugar, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and give it a stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add wet to dry and stir.
- Gently fold in berries and give a light stir. Be careful to not break the berries.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before slicing.