These baked oatmeal squares with apples make a nutritious breakfast on weekends. It’s quick to make but takes about 40 minutes to bake so you need a little time ahead of you. The recipe is pretty simple, and meant to please kids. Apple cinnamon is a combination of flavours that you can’t almost go wrong with kids or most people. The recipe is not vegan but is gluten- and dairy-free. It’s also oil/fat-free if you’re concerned about that. I used applesauce instead of oil for extra apple flavours.
As far as texture is concerned, it’s a little harder as an oatmeal casserole so if you like soft oatmeal, this recipe isn’t for you. You may check instead the strawberry goji baked oatmeal recipe that I will be posting soon or the absolutely delicious baked oatmeal recipe in my upcoming cookbook.
The recipe makes quiet a lot of serving so its good to have for leftovers breakfast in the next couple of days. You can just reheat and serve. I find these squares to be delicious served with yogurt (regular or dairy-free) and a drizzle of maple syrup.
I didn’t add any nuts in the recipe as I know that most children don’t enjoy nuts and that many of them are allergic but feel free to add any chopped nuts you like in the recipe, probably about 1/2 to 3/4 cup.
This baked oatmeal squares make a perfect breakfast for fall and winter. Try using local apples if possible. You will love the combination of warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
And if you like this style and flavour or perhaps don’t enjoy this apple cinnamon baked oatmeal recipe as it’s on the firmer side, check out this very similar recipe but made with maple syrup and coconut oil, and more apples.
Let me know what you like best if you happen to make any of them!:)
Baked Oatmeal Squares with Apples
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt
- 2 pastured eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup nondairy milk (almond, coconut)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Plain yogurt (regular or dairy-free), for serving (optional)
- Pure maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add eggs, applesauce, milk and vanilla, stir and add to dry ingredients. Then, whisk again.
- Stir in apple and walnuts if using.
- Pour into a 9 x 13" baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting.
- Serve with yogurt and pure maple syrup if desired.