I wanted to try to create a new muffin recipe. I asked my son if he wanted carrot muffins. He said no. I said.. What about zucchini muffins? He said no. (I wasn’t surprised but was trying anyway, haha!) Then I said.. What about chocolate chip muffins? He said YESSS! I said ok alright, let’s make (healthy) chocolate chip muffins together! He was excited. I rarely make that kind of muffins so I didn’t mind making a batch. They turned out good. I ended up with a little extra batter which my son was very happy to eat, lol.
These muffins are not your traditional high in sugar chocolate chip muffins. They aren’t very sweet. I used sucanat in the recipe, which is an unrefined brown sugar. You could try coconut sugar if you you prefer instead. The chocolate chips are the vegan mini chocolate chips you can find in health food stores or online (I’m not paid to promote the brand, I’m just sharing to help). They taste great and they aren’t too sweet.
Instead of butter and milk..
I do not use any butter or milk or buttermilk in the recipe. Instead, I use coconut oil and non-dairy milk, in which I add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice!) to create something similar to buttermilk. Oh, and the flour? Spelt flour. It’s a much more nutritious flour. It does have gluten but if you’re ok with gluten, it’s a much healthier alternative to regular white flour.
These big chocolate muffins should please the family. My son and step-daughter enjoyed them. It’s not my kind of muffins but I tasted them and they were good! Hope your family enjoy them too. They are dairy-free and made with organic ingredients, and are great for the lunchbox. They can be frozen.
Big Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup nondairy milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 pastured eggs, whisked
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup sucanat or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt
- 1 1/4 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a muffin pan with 12 muffin liners and set aside.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, combine milk and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and set aside.
- Put your jar of coconut oil in a bowl of warm water to let it melt a few minutes.
- Whisk eggs in a medium mixing bowl and add in vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sucanat, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Add melted coconut oil into the egg mixture and whisk fast to combine. Add in milk and whisk constantly until incorporated.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and stir to combine.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin tins. Fill each cup to the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Check them at 20 minutes.