This black lentil salad is absolutely delicious, especially with the homemade, creamy garlic cider dressing. It’s a perfect meal for Spring or Summer. I made this salad when I began my 9-day cleanse, in the first part of the cleanse when I ate raw and vegan food only. It’s a salad I could eat almost daily though, it’s so good.
I used black lentils as I enjoy the taste and as they are great in salads. If you don’t have black lentils, green would work too. Lentils are very nutritious. They are a good source of carbohydrates and protein, B vitamins, as well as magnesium, zinc and potassium. They’re also economical and easy to prepare. Contrary to beans, they don’t need to be soaked prior cooking.
This salad makes one serving. I cooked the lentils before making the salad so it was ready to put together when it was lunch time. You don’t want freshly cooked lentils as they would be warm and not ideal for a cold salad of course. Make them in the morning or the day or night before.
The salad is colourful and very flavourful. I enjoyed it so much. I will definitely make this again, and probably a larger batch. Feel free to double or quadruple the recipe to feed a family or have leftovers for your lunches.
Enjoy this gorgeous, tasty salad!
Black Lentil Salad with Garlic Cider Dressing
- 1 cup cooked black lentils
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 radish, thinly sliced
- ½ Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- ¼ bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup sauerkraut
- 2-3 tablespoons finely diced red onions
- 1 tablespoon minced mint
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon pink salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- If you don't have cooked lentils already, start by cooking them, preferably a few hours before eating them or the day before.
- Put cooked lentils into a large mixing bowl and add shredded carrots, avocado, radish, cucumber, bell pepper, sauerkraut, red onions and mint. Stir to combine.
- Make dressing by combing all the ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth. Add all the dressing to the salad and stir.
- Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to use.