These blueberry lemon yogurt muffins are moist, flavourful and rich in protein and antioxidants. They are made with Greek yogurt, lemon juice and zest, and blueberries, and are sweetened with a little coconut sugar and pure maple syrup although honey could be used instead.
I used spelt flour for the recipe but have to be honest here. On the picture, it’s half spelt flour and half organic white flour. Why? Because the first batch I made didn’t turn out the way I wanted so I remake them right away but was missing spelt flour. I used spelt guys, but you can of course always use organic, unbleached white flour or whole wheat flour if you prefer. I like spelt because it’s more nutritious and doesn’t have a strong taste.
The yogurt I use is organic, plain Greek yogurt. When it comes to dairy products, I always buy organic and plain. It’s so much better for you. I don’t use cow’s milk at all so to thin out the batter a little bit, I used almond milk although any nondairy milk (unsweetened) can be used.
I like to bake muffins. They’re easy and quick to make, portable, and perfect for a breakfast or snack on the go, and the lunchbox.
What’s your favorite combination of flavour? Do you prefer fruits in your muffins? You like to add nuts? Or you prefer muffins that are on the sweeter side with chocolate? I made a few muffin recipes recently in case you want to check them out.
The muffins are not vegan, gluten- or dairy-free, but they are made with organic ingredients. I wanted to bake something different and it’s Spring so wanted to use lemon and blueberries. If you like this combination of flavours, you would love the blueberry lemon cake I have in my upcoming cookbook. It’s paleo so gluten- and dairy-free, and it’s easy to make and incredibly flavourful and delicious.
Blueberry Lemon Yogurt Muffins
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon unrefined salt
- 2 pastured eggs
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 cup organic Greek yogurt
- ½ cup pure maple syrup or local honey
- ¼ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a muffin pan with muffin papers and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, and stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk egg. Then add lemon juice and zest, yogurt, maple syrup (or honey), milk and vanilla, and stir to combine. Then, quickly whisk in coconut oil.
- Add the wet mixture to dry and stir to combine.
- Add in blueberries, give it a stir and divide batter evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.