This carrot soup is not your traditional carrot soup as I use a different ingredient to make it creamy and more nutritious. I une tahini, which is sesame butter. Sesame butter is made of sesame seeds, which are rich in alkaline minerals, healthy fats and protein. I thought that tahini would pair beautifully with carrots. It reminds me a bit of Moroccan/Middle East flavors. So because you use tahini, you don’t need to use anything else to make it super creamy like potato, rice or cream. If tahini is not a taste you like, don’t worry – you won’t really taste it. I also added a little bit of honey to balance out flavour but if vegan omit or use maple syrup or agave.
I garnished the soup with sautéed shiitake mushrooms because I just love them but I also made the soup using roasted cauliflower florets. It adds a little crunch to the soup and it’s a lovely way to add a little extra veggies. I garnished with cilantro but omit if you’re not a fan. Serve the soup with a good quality bread or as an appetizer if you prefer.
The soup is good to make all year long, especially during fall. It’s a very warming and grounding soup. If it’s summer, you may want to use those extra carrots from your garden though. Hope you enjoy.
The carrot tahini soup is vegan, gluten and soy-free.
Carrot Tahini Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon unrefined salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ pound carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon local honey (optional)
- Optional garnishes:
- Sauteed shiitake mushrooms or roasted cauliflower florets
- Sesame seeds
- Cilantro or mint
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and ginger and cook until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red pepper flakes.
- Add in carrots and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Turn off heat, stir in tahini and lemon juice.
- Carefully blend until smooth, in batches if necessary. You can also use an immersion blender.
- Garnish with toppings and serve with bread, if desired.