If you have never made cauliflower fried rice, it’s the time to try. This dish is light, nutritious and super yummy. It’s really like eating fried rice but minus the rice and carbs. I have nothing against fried rice, when it’s homemade, as it can be relatively healthy if choosing good quality ingredients like brown rice or a good white rice, and healthy oils.
This version is a healthier alternative as it uses cauliflower to replace the rice. Cauliflower “rice” is cooked with other vegetables and seasonings to create something similar in flavours to the real dish. I really enjoy it, especially during spring and summer when I eat lighter.
The dish is packed with nutrients, thanks to all the vegetables in there. It’s a great meal to make for kids too as they usually like fried rice. In the recipe there is green peas, which is an ingredient that children usually enjoy.
You can make the dish vegan, vegetarian or not, depending the protein you want to add in it. With protein, I always do one only. I don’t like to mix more than one protein as it’s not good food combining thereby not amazing for digestion. One protein is enough.
If you do eggs, than scramble them aside in a part than add it to the dish. You will have a vegetarian fried rice.
If you do chicken, cut small strips or dice of chicken breast or thighs, cook in a separate skillet then once cooked, add to the dish. You will have a “paleo” dish.
If you want a vegan dish, then use diced tofu or tempeh. Cook aside then add to the rice. Pretty simple.
I used tempeh in this recipe. Sometimes though, I use organic chicken. It depends on my mood, the weather, what I feel like eating, etc. I think it’s best to not stick to a diet just “because” but listening to our bodies’ needs and taking in consideration other external factors.
If you enjoy tempeh, make sure to also check out my vegan buddha bowl with miso tahini sauce recipe. It’s so good.
Garnish the dish with sliced green onions and serve with a lime wedge.
It’s absolutely delicious. Cauliflower fried rice is very trendy now. I hope you and your family enjoy it too.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Protein of choice (1 bloc of tempeh, diced, or 1-2 chicken breast (or thighs), diced, or 2 to 4 pastured eggs, scrambled)
- 2-3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup fresh or frozen diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon local honey
- Juice of ½ lime
- Green onions, sliced, for garnish
- Lime wedges, to serve (optional)
- In a large skillet, add one tablespoon of sesame oil and cook protein of choice until cooked though. Reserve.
- Clean the skillet or use a large pot. Add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil.
- Over medium low heat, add peas and carrots. Stir and let cook until carrots are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Then add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes, stir and cook for another minute or two.
- While vegetables are cooking, put cauliflower florets into your food processor and process for a few seconds until you get the consistency of rice. Add cauliflower "rice" to the skillet or pot and stir well to combine. Let cook for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Add tamari, toasted sesame oil, honey and lime juice, stir well to combine.
- Add protein back to the skillet or pot. Let cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Once the cauliflower rice is soft and cooked, plate and garnish with green onions and serve with lime wedges.