I wanted to make chia banana muffins as I got inspired to a chia muffin I tried when I was visiting New York City. It was so delicious, not sweet, and make with good quality ingredients. I tried to replicate it and this was my first shot. It wasn’t the same at all haha but I will be working on the recipe and to be honest, they are still pretty damn good. My son loved them and so did I. I think next time I will add more flour but honestly they are worth making.
They are very nutritious and can even be eaten for breakfast so if you have little ones at home or children that are picky or not too hungry in the morning, or if you just want a little something for the car ride, give them a try.
They are made with health-supportive ingredients like..
- chia seeds (high in fibre, protein, healthy fats and a variety of vitamins and minerals)
- yogurt (good source of protein and calcium – can be grass-fed plain yogurt or nondairy plain yogurt like coconut)
- bananas (great source of minerals and fibre)
- eggs (awesome source of proteins, minerals and healthy fats)
- coconut oil (great oil with multiple health benefits)
They are super easy to make. Perhaps try to make them on a Sunday so you have healthy muffins for the week. They aren’t too sweet which I like. Make sure to use ripe bananas as they are naturally sweeter and also easier to digest. I added a little maple syrup in the recipe too. You can always replace with honey if you prefer.
Hope you enjoy these chia banana muffins even though they aren’t perfect yet. I will work on the recipe though as I think its a great start for an awesome muffin recipe.
If you love making muffins, make sure to check out my other muffin recipes:
If you’d like vegan muffins, try replace the eggs with flax eggs and use coconut or almond yogurt instead of cow’s milk yogurt.
Alright, here’s the recipe guys.
Chia Banana Muffins
- 1 2/3 cup flour (white, kamut or spelt)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3 pastured eggs
- 1 cup organic plain yogurt (cow, coconut, almond, ..)
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil, or avocado oil
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with muffin papers. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, and stir to combine.
- In another large mixing bowl, mash bananas. Then whisk in eggs, then yogurt, chia seeds, oil, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix to combine.
- Divide batter between muffin tins, filling them up to the top.
- Garnish with more chia seeds if you like.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.