If you’re a big fan of Indian food then you’ll love this chicken curry recipe! Keep reading for more on this gluten-free, paleo version of chicken curry. It is to die for!
Chicken curry is a popular dish in India and it has spread to various parts of the world such as the Caribbean and South East Asia where is eaten daily as a lunchtime or dinner meal. It is a great meal choice that’ll expand your kids palates and introduce them to new cultures through their little tummies.
What Is Curry?
Curry powder is actually a blend of different spices. How they are blended varies from place to place but the most common ingredients are cumin, turmeric, curry leaves, coriander seeds, black pepper, dried chilis, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg mustard seeds, and bay leaves.
This yummy, yellow blend is used to season a wide variety of meats such as chicken, goat, fish, shrimp, beef, and pork. Curry powder can also be used on eggs and vegetables to make sandwiches and salads.
This spice is not only diverse, but it has some great health benefits . For instance, curry’s contents have been found to have antioxidant properties that purify everything from blood to skin. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and can lower blood pressure.
What To Eat With Chicken Curry
Personally, chicken curry goes best with basmati rice or jasmine rice. It’s so satisfying to watch the white rice absorb all the gravy and turn into a warm, vibrant yellow.
But if you want a grain-free option you can try it with cauliflower rice. It’s just as good!
Here’s how you can have a steaming bowl of curry at your table in less than an hour:
- 3-4 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tsp unrefined salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp tumeric
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Cooked basmati or jasmine rice, for serving (optional)
- In a large pot, heat coconut/ olive oil over medium heat
- Add chicken and season with salt. Cook until mostly cooked through then transfer to a plate
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, and all spices. Stir to combine and cook until onions have softened for 4-5 minutes
- Add diced tomatoes while scraping down the bottom of the pan
- Add partially cooked chicken to the pot
- Add coconut milk and bring to a light boil
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes
- Turn off heat and add lemon juice
- Divide curry between plates (on top of rice if being used) and garnish with cilantro
If you love this curried chicken recipe you will also love this Yellow Chicken Curry Recipe
Gone vegan? Join in on the curry action with Indian Chickpea Curry With Dosa Recipe