These coconut chocolate bars are so similar than the popular brand Larabar but in my opinion healthier and tastier. They are raw so all the nutrients are preserved. The bars are very nutritious. They are a good source of protein, calcium, magnesium and potassium, as well as fiber and essential fatty acids.
To make the chocolate topping, you melt the chocolate on low-medium heat with the remaining ingredients. You can also omit that step if you don’t want a chocolate topping.
It’s best to keep the bars in the refrigerator otherwise they will get too soft. You can also freeze them if you like.
If you like larabar, you are sure to enjoy this healthier version!
- 1 ½ cup natural almonds
- 1 ½ cup pitted dates
- 1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon ground flax or chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon unrefined salt
- Chocolate topping:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- Pinch unrefined salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil an 8x8 pan with coconut oil and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine almonds, dates, coconut, ground flax seeds and salt. Pulse until you get a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press firmly with your hands.
- In a small sauce pan, on low heat, melt coconut oil. Add cacao powder and salt, stir and turn off heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour the melted chocolate on the mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before cutting into bars.
- Keep bars in the refrigerator or freezer.