I love dark chocolate. It’s one of my favorite treats. The one I enjoy the best is actually the organic, fair-trade 85% kind of dark chocolate. I find it so creamy and satisfying, especially as an afternoon treat with a cup of green tea. Heaven. What about you? Oh, if you want to know two more food that makes me feel very happy is…. Matcha tea… and… Avocados…! YES! These foods make my life better, yes, they really do haha!
I created this healthy version of the popular French dessert pot de crème, which is usually made with cream, egg yolks, chocolate and sugar. It’s like a mousse but more consistent. This recipe is healthier and made with coconut milk, dark chocolate and coconut sugar instead. There is no dairy or eggs in it. Bonus point – it’s super easy and quick to make, and the result is absolutely delicious. You have to try it. It’s rich, creamy, satisfying and so incredibly yummy. If you want to make a special but healthy dessert for your family – or for YOU (yes, because you deserve it!) – try this recipe. You won’t regret it.
You know what makes this dessert even better? Guess. Yes. A drop of coconut whipped cream and shaved chocolate on top. HEAVEN!! You can totally use store-bought coconut whipped cream but if you’re in the mood and have the ingredients on hand, I highly recommend making your own. It’s more simple that you may think. You simply blending the cream of a refrigerated can of coconut milk with a little sweetener and a pinch of unrefined salt until smooth.
This healthy dessert is not very sweet so if you have a sweet tooth, you may want to increase the amount of coconut sugar or not use a chocolate that is too dark. I used 85% dark chocolate because it’s my favorite and it gets less strong as I use coconut milk but feel free to use 70% dark if you prefer.
Dark Chocolate “Pot de Crème”
- 7-oz 85% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Celtic or pink salt
- Dark shaved chocolate, to garnish
- Coconut whipped cream:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch Celtic or pink salt
- In a blender, add chopped chocolate. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine coconut milk and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is almost boiling - do not boil. Turn off heat. Add vanilla and sea salt, stir and pour the chocolate mixture in the blender with the chocolate. Blend until smooth.
- Divide the chocolate mixture among ramekins or small cups and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- To make coconut whipped cream, open the can and scoop out the harden part only and add to a small blender. Discard the liquid. Add maple syrup, vanilla and salt, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- When chocolate pot de creme is set, add whipped cream and shaved chocolate on top. Enjoy immediately or keep in the refrigerator until ready to eat.