This healthy apple cake is light, flavourful and satisfying. It really makes the perfect afternoon treat on a rainy or chilly Fall day. Enjoy it with a cup of hot tea or serve it to your kids with a small cup of honey lemon tea. My son loves it. It’s comforting while being tasty and healthy. It’s a really great cake recipe. I hope your family enjoy it too.
I love baking the most during Fall and Winter. It’s those seasons that you just want to stay inside and cuddle up with a warm mug of tea or coffee and hibernate haha! Those are my two favorite seasons. I love warm, grounding food and drinks, and stay warm inside while watching or hearing the sound of rain or wind blowing on the leaves, and of course seeing snow falling from the sky and make our roads and trees covered with snow. It’s so peaceful and relaxing. I love it.
What’s in the Cake?
I used spelt flour which is a grain related to wheat but smaller and healthier – it’s a more complete and less refined grain. The sugar I use is coconut sugar, which is low on the glycemic index and contains minerals. Instead of using oil in the batter I used applesauce, which add more apple flavours to the cake. And of course, I peeled, cored and diced some local apples. It’s truly delicious and a guilt-free cake.
Is it Vegan or Gluten-free?
It’s not vegan or gluten-free but is made with high-quality ingredients. Remember, it doesn’t mean it’s gluten-free or vegan that it’s healthy. It all depends on the ingredients as well as the quantity of it inside. Think about it. You can have a vegan cake but made with white flour and filled with cane sugar in it.. Not healthier than a non vegan cake that is made with spelt flour and coconut sugar but that does use eggs. Same with gluten-free cakes. Many gluten-free cakes are full of starch (sugar) and not necessarily made with great ingredients. Watch for ingredients when you buy products. Learn to read labels.
Similar Recipes on the Blog
If you enjoy making recipes with apples, have a look to those delicious recipes too:
- Pumpkin Chestnut Soup with Apples
- Butternut Squash Soup, Leeks and Apple Soup
- Baked Oatmeal with Apples
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Almond Apple Cake
Healthy Apple Cake
- 1 ½ cup spelt flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon unrefined salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 pastured eggs
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly oil an 8 x 8 square baking dish and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients together and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs. Then whisk in almond milk, applesauce and vanilla, and stir in apples.
- Combine wet to dry and mix to combine.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing into squares.