I wanted to make a banana bread but not a traditional one with white flour, butter, sour cream, etc. I wanted to make a healthy one; one that I wouldn’t mind eating or giving to my son. I created this banana bread on a rainy weekend of April. We were sick and stayed home that weekend, and one of the activities we did was to make this banana bread. It turned out to be one of the best banana breads I made.
There is actually one banana bread recipe in my cookbook, which is absolutely amazing. The recipe is made with coconut flour and the bread is both gluten- and grain-free. I totally recommend making it. The main difference between both recipe is that this one contains gluten. However, Kamut flour is a much healthier alternative to white flour. It’s less refined and more nutritious. I am in Canada and use this one but Bob’s Red Mill has a great one too.
In this recipe, I use kamut flour as the base and sucanat as the sweetener but coconut sugar could be used if you prefer. I also added cinnamon, a lot of ripe bananas, melted coconut oil, pastured eggs and vanilla extract. Make sure to you very ripe bananas so it makes the bread naturally sweeter. The bread is dairy-free and made with organic ingredients and lots of love. It’s a very easy recipe to make yet moist and absolutely delicious. You will re-make this one for sure. It’s a keeper. Please make it and let me know in the comments below.
I didn’t add any chopped nuts or chocolate chips, I kept it plain and simple, just the way I like it. It’s a snack your family will love and it’s great for the lunch box!
Hope you enjoy! And if you ever want to make chocolate chip muffins, you may want to try this new recipe too!
Healthy Banana Bread
- 1 2/3 cup kamut flour
- 1 cup sucanat or coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt
- 1 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 4 large banana)
- 2 pastured eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Oil a loaf pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt, and stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash bananas, then add in eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir again to combine.
- POur batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.