Say what?! Yes, you heard correctly. This double chocolate muffin recipe is healthy. You may wonder why so let me tell you what’s in the recipe. This is what you will need.
Ingredients in the Muffins
- Flax seeds
- Pure maple syrup
- Extra-virgin coconut oil (I use this one)
- Almond milk
- Mashed bananas
- Spelt flour
- Raw Cacao powder
- Mini vegan dark chocolate chips
Are they Gluten-free?
No. They aren’t. They are made with organic spelt flour, which is similar to wheat but much more nutritious and healthier. It’s a complete flour that has a light taste and is great for baking. If you are gluten-free, however, you may substitute with a gluten-free flour mix.
What Fruit is Hidden?
Bananas. I use one cup of mashed bananas to improve texture and sweetness naturally while benefiting from its nutritional profile. Make sure your bananas are ripe!
Cacao comes from the cacao fruit tree. Raw cacao is made by cold-pressing un-roasted cacao beans. It’s rich in antioxidants, fibre and minerals like iron, magnesium and potassium.
Cacao and cocoa sound similar but they are different in taste, texture, nutrition and cost. Cacao is raw and less processed which makes it healthier but pricier.
Are the Muffins Vegan?
Yes! They are dairy-free and egg-free. I use almond milk to replace milk and flax eggs to replace eggs.
How Do You Make Flax Eggs?
For 1 egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 2 1/2 tablespoons of water. Let sit until it thickens.
For 2 eggs, mix 2 tablespoons with 5 tablespoons of water.
No flax seeds? Use ground chia seeds.
Prep and Baking Time
They will be ready in 30 minutes and takes about 10 minutes to make if you are quick. They are super easy to make and taste delicious. It’s a great activity to do with your children too. Plan more time:) If it’s a concern of yours, they can easily lick the batter as there are no raw eggs in it.
Want a Flourless Chocolate Muffin?
Make sure to check my flourless double chocolate muffin recipe. It’s delicious and made with coconut flour.
Those double chocolate muffins make a great morning, afternoon or after-school snack. They are somehow light and fluffy, and aren’t too sweet. They are vegan and nut-free which can be great for your child’s lunch box.
Hope you enjoy them! Please leave your comment or question in the comment below!
Healthy Double Chocolate Muffins
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (or ground chia seeds)
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or nondairy milk)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup mini dark vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 12 muffin pan with silicone or paper cups.
- Mix flax with chia in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mash banana in a bowl then add in almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine spelt flour, raw cacao powder, chocolate chips, baking soda, baking powder and salt and stir to combine.
- Add flax to wet mixture, stir and add wet mixture to dry. Stir to combine.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes.