If you like pumpkin bread, you are sure to enjoy this special healthy treat. I love autumn and one of the reasons is because I love cooking and baking with pumpkin, squash, apples and warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom. It’s so warm and cozy, and nourishing to the body and soul.
This bread is absolutely delicious, especially for a healthy treat, and is also super easy to make. You don’t need a mixer as you don’t need to beat butter and sugar. Instead, I use warm coconut oil, which has amazing health benefits, and I use coconut sugar, which is a natural sugar that contains minerals and has a very low glycemic index. These ingredients, combine with an organic spelt flour, pastured eggs and a lot of spices, make this bread nutritious and low in sugar, flavourful, satisfying and super yummy, especially when coming out of the oven. It’s so good with a cup of organic coffee or chai tea. Are you more of a tea or coffee person? I like both.
What Is Coconut Sugar And How Is It Made?
Coconut sugar is also called coconut palm sugar. It’s a natural brown sugar that is more nutritious and low on the glycemic index compared to white sugar. Coconut sugar is the dehydrated sap of the coconut palm. It’s made by cutting the flower of the coconut palm to get the liquid sap which is placed under heat until most of the water has evaporated.
You can buy coconut sugar in almost any grocery store nowadays. You can also get it online. I personally like the Wholesome Mindfully Delicious company.
What Are The Spices Used In The Bread?
I like to use a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and cloves. If you don’t have cloves, just use more allspice. Sometimes I like to use a pumpkin spice mix but since most people don’t have that mix, I have the tendency to just use the individual spices.
If you would have loved to try this recipe but are vegan, make sure to check out this vegan pumpkin bread recipe, which is similar and amazing too.
I hope you enjoy this delicious healthy fall treat!
Healthy Pumpkin Bread
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed pumpkin, store-bought or homemade
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a loaf with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Then, whisk in pumpkin, coconut oil, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix to combine but do not overmix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing.