If you like curry and coconut flavours, you will love this pumpkin soup recipe. It’s vegan, gluten- and soy-free. I used fresh pumpkin flesh from going pumpkin patch with my son and sister. The soup is so delicious. Coconut milk pairs beautifully with the Thai curry paste and the result is a thick, creamy, silky soup full of flavours. It’s not too spicy but just enough flavours and kick to it. The soup doesn’t contain too many ingredients and is super easy and quick to make. It also makes amazing leftovers, perfect for the lunch box with a nice piece of bread (or avocado toast if you eat home!).
What’s in the Soup?
Onions, garlic, red Thai curry paste, pumpkin, broth and coconut milk – Easy.
What to Serve the Soup with?
I enjoy the soup on its own with a simple piece of crusty sourdough bread or avocado toasts. Crackers would work too. You can, however, serve it as an appetizer with a noodle, stir-fry or chicken dish for example. I would go with something with asian flavours.
Garnish the Soup
I kept it simple but you can drizzle olive oil on top and season with freshly ground black pepper, sliced red (hot) pepper, cilantro, or even toasted pumpkin seeds.
Funny anecdote. I went to the grocery store that morning to buy one hot chili pepper for the picture. You know, to add colours. I put the hot pepper on my kitchen counter and go do other things until ready to take the pictures. Then, I get back, ready to shoot a few hours later, and couldn’t find the pepper on my counter. I looked EVERYWHERE and never found it. I couldn’t believe my eyes. And now I’m posting this recipe a few days later and still never found my hot pepper. So weird. Good thing I didn’t wait to shoot until I find it, haha! It’s too bad but oh well, next time. Does that kind of thing happen to you?!
If you love pumpkin food and recipes just as much as I do, make sure to also check out those amazing recipes. If you make any of them, I’d love some feedback to know if I’m on point with the recipes and how you and your family enjoy them. And also, if you would like to see anything in particular, drop a comment below or contact me via social media.
- Pumpkin Overnight Oats
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Smoothie Bowl
- Buckwheat Pumpkin Pancakes
- Pumpkin Chestnut Soup with Apples
Red Thai Curry Coconut Pumpkin Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 ½ teaspoon unrefined salt
- 6 cups cooked pumpkin
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Minced coriander, for serving
- Sliced red pepper, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add Thai curry paste and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add pumpkin, stir and cover with broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add in coconut milk.
- Carefully blend the soup, in batches if necessary, until silky smooth, or use an immersion blender.
- Divide the soup between bowls, garnish with minced cilantro and sliced red pepper if you like.