Guys. You won’t be disappointed with this carrot soup, I promise. It’s soooo good. If you like creamy soup but healthy ones, you will enjoy this one. Oh, AND, even if you don’t like carrot soup, try it. You will be surprise. It actually doesn’t taste like carrots so much, well almost. My 3 year old (who’s in a phase where he doesn’t like soup and refuse to have any) had 3 servings. I never saw him eating that much soup.
What can I say about the soup. It’s creamy, flavourful, warming, slightly sweet and nutritious. So basically instead of using cream (have nothing against using a bit of organic cream here and there) I used full fat coconut milk in which I used at the end of cooking. It makes the soup so creamy and without the dairy. There is also no flour used as thickener. It’s really just a combination of vegetables, aromatics and coconut milk.
At the end of cooking, along with the coconut milk, I added a tablespoon of local honey which pairs beautifully with roasted carrots. You vegan? Use maple syrup, agave perhaps or coconut nectar. It makes the soup tastes even better. It’s always best to add honey and coconut milk at the end because you don’t want to boil these ingredients.
I served the soup with avocado & ricotta comb honey toasts using a good local sourdough bread. It was absolutely DELISH. It’s a perfect week night dinner that makes great leftovers for lunch the next day. Try it you won’t be disappointed. If you make it let me know how it turned out. I’d love to know!
Roasted Carrot Soup
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon unrefined salt
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 cups vegetable broth, homemade or low sodium
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon local honey or maple syrup
- Minced cilantro or mint, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a mixing bowl, toss carrots, onions, garlic and ginger with olive oil to coat and transfer to a non-stick baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, add cooked vegetables, cumin, salt and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add in broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then stir in coconut milk and honey.
- Blend with an immersion blender until silky smooth or using a blender, working in batches if necessary.
- Garnish with herbs if you like and serve with bread, toast or simply as is.