I hosted Easter brunch. I actually almost canceled it because my son was so sick. And I caught it too so I wasn’t any better. But it happened that I was feeling better that weekend so I decided to still host Easter. I cooked a variety of dishes for the brunch, including this spinach strawberry salad and carrot cake. It was delicious. And this quiche? Oh my gosh. People LOVED it. It was so good. And it’s perfect for vegetarians.
The quiche is made with shallots, spinach, pastured eggs, organic heavy cream, Gruyere cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. I could have skipped the cream but Im using cheese already so why not adding cream. If you do dairy then do dairy haha! I don’t use a lot in my cooking but for occasions or special treat I do use some, but I always get the best ingredients, whether it’s organic or fresh/local. If you want to make a quiche that taste out of this world, try this one. You won’t be disappointed.
The quiche use frozen spinach. You will need to thawed them first. Then, before adding them to your mixture, you want to remove excess water with your hands. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a very watery quiche – not yummy. So make sure you don’t forget that step.
For the crust, make your own with flour, butter, water and salt, or buy one, preferably homemade style.
Let’s jump right into the recipe.
Spinach Gruyere Quiche
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
- ¾ cup thinly sliced shallots
- 6 pastured eggs
- 1 ½ cup shredded Gruyère
- 1 cup organic heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (10 ounces) package frozen spinach, thawed
- Homemade store-bought pie crust
- Once spinach are thawed, squeeze excess water. Otherwise, you'll have a watery quiche.
- Cook crust in the oven according to your crust recipe or crust package instructions. Set aside.
- Now, set oven temperature to 325F.
- In a skillet over medium low heat, melt butter and add shallots. Cook until very soft, about 6-8 minutes. Reserve.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs. Then add cheese, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg, and stir to combine.
- Add shallots and thawed spinach on the pie crust, then slowly add the egg filling.
- Bake in oven for about 50 t0 55 minutes or until cooked through.