This salad was created for Easter. I wanted something that fits with Spring and Easter so I wanted something light and refreshing, and colourful too. I went to the market down the street, got that gorgeous mix of greens and saw those beautiful red strawberries so I bought them for the salad. Strawberries go well with avocado so I mixed them both. To add a little crunch I added some silvered almonds which also pair beautifully with those two fruits. For the dressing I wanted to make something different than a vinaigrette so I thought about using yogurt to make a dressing. I didn’t add cheese in the salad so adding a bit of yogurt to make the dressing would fit just perfectly.
This is how the poppyseed dressing got created. I combined organic full fat plain yogurt with extra-virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, local honey, poppyseeds and pink salt. The combination of flavours is delicious and I rather eat yogurt than mayo. The dressing was lovely in the salad.
It’s a great one to make if you receive guests or want to make something a little more special for your family. It’s a perfect salad to make during spring and summer. I used mixed greens but spinach would be awesome too. Romaine too I guest.
In the ingredient list, I honestly didn’t measure anything. I just combine the ingredients in a bowl so it kind of look pretty and balanced, and I mixed it up and it was great. Do the same, it’s just a salad. It’s more the dressing that you want on point.
Strawberry Avocado Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
- 1 large bag of mixed greens or spinach (I used about 8 cups)
- 2 small/medium avocados, diced
- 8-10 strawberries, sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced (you can also use red onion)
- Silvered almonds (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup organic plain full-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or local honey
- 1 teaspoon poppyseed
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredient to make the salad.
- Make the dressing by whisking all ingredients in a bowl, then add to the salad and stir to combine.