This vegetarian sweet potato black bean chili is amazing. It’s full of flavours, colours and yumminess. I love the presence of sweet potatoes in there, which add healthy complex carbohydrates. I have been working on this recipe for quite some time now and I feel it’s time to share it. It’s absolutely delicious. I make it for kids so it’s really not too spicy. My husband can’t handle spices and he enjoys this one. Sometimes, it depends on the chili powder you use – some are spicier than others. I use organic chili powder. My favorite being the Frontier or Simply Organic brands.
It’s Spring here but I made this chili on a chill rainy day so it was actually perfect. It was warming but not too heavy or grounding as it’s vegan and made with black beans. It was just perfect. It’s definitely a great meal for fall and winter, or any damp, chilly days during the year. My family loves the recipe. I hope yours will too.
In this recipe, I used organic canned black beans for convenience but if you’re to it you could definitely cook your own beans. I do cook my own beans but I also use canned, it just depends how busy or ready I am with dinners and so on.
I use a big sweet potato in the chili which is so delicious. It’s a great superfood. Sweet potatoes are so nutritious. Make sure to peel it and dice is small enough.
Oh, by the way, I have another amazing chili recipe coming in my cookbook if you’d be interested. It’s different but just as amazing if not better. I’m so excited about this project that is about to come up. I’ve worked so hard on it and the recipes are so healthy and yummy!
You can serve the chilli with brown rice or corn bread if you do grains, or sour cream and/or shredded cheese if you do dairy, or avocado, cilantro and green onions for extra veggies.
Alright, let’s jump to the recipe so you can get started! Let me know in the comments below if you make it and how you and your family liked it!
Oh and if you enjoy sweet potatoes in soups and stews, make sure to check out this spiced red lentil coconut stew with sweet potatoes. It’s amazing too, really!!!
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups diced)
- 2 can organic black beans, rinsed and drained (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1 (28 oz) can organic diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 ¼ teaspoon unrefined salt
- Juice of ½ lime
- Cilantro, chopped to garnish, optional
- Green onions, sliced, to garnish, optional
- Lime wedges, to garnish, optional
- Basmati brown rice or corn bread, to serve, optional
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, and oregano, and sauté for a few more minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, black beans, tomatoes, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Turn off heat, stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- Allow to cool, serve your baby’s portion, and season with salt if desired.
- Garnish with more cilantro and green onions and serve with lime wedges and basmati brown rice if you like.