This healthy, flavourful and easy to make recipe is perfect on a hot summer day! Canned tuna is mixed with Greek plain yogurt, strong cheddar cheese, celery, dill, Dijon mustard and lemon juice, and is added on zucchini and baked until soft and warm.
I used skipjack tuna as its a smaller kind of tuna thereby lower on the food chain, but for better taste, a good quality albacore tuna will be perfect. Albacore is good occasionally or in moderation. The result using this fish is better texture and taste. Choice is yours:)
If you have young kids, you may want to serve the tuna mixture over pasta instead of zucchini (unless they enjoy zucchini). My son enjoyed it over gluten-free quinoa pasta.
I used organic, plain Greek yogurt, and organic sharp cheddar. Mild cheddar would be good too. For color you can use orange cheddar but as there is colorant in it, I just prefer to use the white one.
You will have to bake the zucchini first, before adding the tuna mixture. But when zucchini is baking, you can prepare the mixture so its ready to add on top.
If you like, you can add toppings right after putting the tuna mixture on the zucchini. Fresh corn kernel is great. For a grain-free option, omit. You can also add a little extra cheese. You can also add toppings after the zucchini is done cooking, such as freshly chopped tomatoes.
Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
Tuna Melts Zucchini Boats
- 2 medium zucchini
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 can tuna drained
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- 1/2 small red onion finely diced
- 1/4 cup whole, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese strong or mild
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried dill or 2 tbsp fresh
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Fresh corn kernels
- Freshly chopped tomatoes
- Sliced jalapeno peppers
- Extra cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut zucchini half lengthwise and scoop out the inside.
- Sprinkle zucchini with a bit of salt and pepper and bake for 12-15min.
- While baking, in a mixing bowl, combine tuna, celery, onion, yogurt, cheese, lemon juice, dill and mustard, and mix until well combined. Add a little more salt and pepper if you like.
- Take zucchini boats out of the oven and carefully fill them with the tuna mixture.
- Add corn kernels and/or extra cheese if you like.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- If you like garnish with chopped tomatoes and/or sliced japaenos.