This turkey chili is perfect to make on a chili night. It’s easy and quick to make, making the recipe a good one for a busy week night dinner. It’s a one-pot dinner, which I really like, and has crowd-pleasing ingredients and flavours. It has some spices but it’s not “spicy”.
The chili takes about 20 minutes to simmer. Then divide between bowls and serve with side dishes or additional toppings, whatever you prefer.
It’s a very hearty meal, very healthy and satisfying. You will be left feeling warm and nourished, exactly what we need on a chilly night, right? It’s also beneficial for your immune system with all the spices in the recipe. It’s definitely a meal to make during fall and winter.
What’s In The Chili?
- Ground turkey (choose organic if possible although not crucial for turkey)
- Kidney Beans
- Chili powder
- Crushed tomatoes
What To Serve the Chili With?
If you want to serve a side dish with your turkey chili, try corn bread, corn chips, roasted root vegetables, rice (white or brown) and the obvious: sour cream, salsa, guacamole, and shredded cheese.. You can also add extra lime juice, jalapeños and coriander, which I usually add in my bowl. You can ask what your family members want or add those ingredients on the side for people to add them themselves.
Are you Vegan?
If you are vegan or would like to try a vegan chili recipe, make sure to try this recipe on the blog. It’s truly delicious too.
I hope you enjoy these recipes. Leave a comment to let me know if you make them and how they turned out!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 celery, diced
- 1 pound turkey
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon unrefined salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 (28 ounces) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounces) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional toppings:
- Sour cream
- Guacamole or diced avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Lime wedges
- Cornbread or corn chips (not grain-free)
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add garlic, jalapeño and celery, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add turkey, chili powder, cumin, coconut sugar, paprika, oregano, salt and nutmeg. Break down meat with a spatula, stir well and cook until the meat is mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula.
- Add kidney beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, divide turkey between bowls, garnish with favouring toppings.