Banana bread is one of my favorite baked goods, and it’s one of my family’s too. I like to develop different recipes and this one is vegan – not because I am vegan but because I do love vegan food. And this bread guys? Oh gosh, so good. It’s moist, flavourful and does take like banana. Have you ever notice how so many banana bread don’t even taste like banana? Well this one doesnt. It’s amazing. So the bread is egg- and dairy-free, as well as nut-free. I hope you enjoy it.
If you like banana bread, you may want to check the other banana bread recipe on my blog, which is also super yummy. It’s not vegan but made with kamut flour, coconut oil and coconut sugar. It’s definitely worth trying. And if you are more into the Paleo diet or more grain/flour free, you will absolutely love the recipe in my cookbook for families. It’s so light and fluffy and sooooo good. Totally worth doing.
One of the tricks to do a great one is to use very ripe bananas. Why? Because they are sweeter and more flavourful. They are also easier to digest as there are less carbs in them.
What’s in the bread?
I used organic all-purpose white flour, which you could replace with kamut flour if you prefer. I also use coconut sugar, lots of ripe bananas, coconut milk, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
I usually use a whole grain flour but sometimes, I will use an organic, unbleached white flour. It usually depends what I make and the ingredients I use in the recipe.
I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe. Let me know in the comments below if you make it!
Vegan Banana Bread
- 1 2/3 cup organic all purpose white flour (or kamut flour)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon unrefined salt
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup mashed)
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup coconut (or avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup walnuts and/or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly oil a loaf pan with coconut oil and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed bananas, coconut milk, oil, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Mix wet to dry and stir to combine. If you like, stir in walnuts and/or chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing.