If you like banana bread, you are sure to enjoy these vegan banana muffins. They are moist, flavourful, nutritious, satisfying, healthy, and super easy to make. The recipe makes 11 to 12 muffins, depending how big you make them. They are allergen-free so perfect for the lunch box as a dessert or snack, or keep them home for a nutritious after-school snack. Your kids will love those. You can refrigerate or freeze them extras, if you have any, for a few months, although I don’t think they will last that long. They are really yummy.
What Are They Made Of?
- Ripe bananas
- Pure maple syrup
- Coconut oil
- Spelt flour
- Flax seeds
- Mini dark chocolate chips (optional)
I added mini dark chocolate chips in the muffins to make them more enjoyable for little ones. I usually use organic, vegan, dark, mini chocolate chips from the company Enjoy Life.
If you don’t mind for chocolate chips may you use chopped walnuts instead – up to you.
Banana Health Benefits
Bananas are a good source of vitamin B6 and vitamin C, as well as potassium and fibre. They provide energy with their natural sugars – sucrose, fructose and glucose. Bananas are ideal for children and athletes.
One banana has about 105 calories and consists almost exclusively of water and carbs. Bananas have very little protein and almost no fat.
How Are They Vegan?
The muffins do not contain any eggs, butter or dairy products. Instead of eggs, I used ground flax seeds in which I mixed with water to make a thick gel. Instead of butter or dairy, I used coconut oil instead, which is a healthy, natural fat with multiple health benefits.
Banana Recipes on the Blog
If you are into muffins or bread, cake or cookies, you are sure to enjoy these healthy recipes featuring bananas.
- Chia Banana Muffins
- Vegan Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Banana Oat Breakfast Cake
- Fall Breakfast Cookies
Vegan Banana Muffins
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 4 ripe bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt
- 1/3 cup mini dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 12 muffin tin with coconut oil or line with muffin liners. Set aside.
- Mix ground flax seeds with the water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mash bananas in a bowl. Add vanilla, lemon juice and maple syrup and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, add flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add flax gel mixture into the wet ingredients, stir, and add in coconut oil. Stir again to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix to combine. Do not over mix the batter.
- Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- Divide batter between muffin tins.
- Bake for about 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.