If you are looking to bake something using vegetables, you may want to try these healthy zucchini muffins. They are great to make all year long but especially during Spring and Summer or when they are in season or your garden is full of it.
They are quick and easy to make and make a nutritious breakfast on the go or healthy snack. Even if your children don’t like zucchinis you may want to give them a try anyway. The muffins are delicious. If they will freak out to see pieces of green in it, simply peel the zucchini.
Also, when working with zucchini in baked good recipes, you want to make sure to always squeeze excess water from them. Otherwise the baked goods may get soggy because of the extra water it will adds. After grating the zucchini, squeeze excess water with your hands over a bowl or the sink, in batches if necessary. You want the zucchini to be as dry as possible. You can even use a nut milk bag if you have one.
The zucchini muffins are NOT gluten-free as they are made with spelt flour but spelt is more nutritious and less refined than wheat flour. They are however dairy-, soy- and nut-free.
- 2 ½ cups spelt flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon unrefined salt
- 2 pastured egg, whisked
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12-muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and give it a stir.
- Combine wet ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Shred zucchini with a box grater, squeeze excess water with your hands, add in to the wet mixture and stir to combine.
- Add in mini chocolate chips/walnuts if using.
- Combine wet mixture to dry and stir to combine.
- Divide evenly between muffin cups, filling each cup completely.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.